Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Skirts and Chaos

I'm slowly getting my sewing room back in order. It's still chaos, as everything was shoved into boxes and shoved from the room, but things are slowly turning up.  






I've also been working on the Figtree wool block of the month now that the thread arrived.  Working with wool is definitely different!


I like the feel and dimension the wool creates, but it can definitely be harder to applique. Those stems in the block on the left had to be resewn because I didn't apply enough glue and the wool shifted, leaving me with a wavy vine.






I've discovered that using extra glue (a lot of it!) holds it in place better and that reducing the foot pressure on my machine helps as well.



I've also been working on catching up on the 2016 Designer block of the month by Fat Quarter Shop. 



I have to say, some of these blocks don't photograph well, but in person and assembled they're great!







Last but not least, I found this lovely skirt out and about in Vientiane.  I love the lemons, I love the feel of the material, but they wanted entirely too much money for the work that went into it - particularly here, where an entire personally tailored dress costs less than $50 USD including material.





I think the problem is that it wasn't tagged and I'm a "falang" or "foreigner" here. A friend assured me the owner doesn't operate that way, so wish me luck when I go back to get that skirt! 


Hopefully they'll just order yardage for me to make a fresh skirt, otherwise I have some alterations (like lowering the waist, as it sits under my rib cage!) to tackle.







No comments:

Post a Comment